Protecting Your Health this Holiday Season

When it comes to the holidays, we know how temptation can lurk around every corner. Delicious eggnog, rich desserts, our favorite foods, and everything we enjoy seems to be calling to us. Parties and family reunions fill up the calendar, so there’s no shortage of events and opportunities to eat foods that aren’t so good for us. And don’t even get us started on how escaping a party empty-handed is impossible. There are leftovers that need to be taken care of!

If you’re trying to take care of your cardiovascular system, the holidays can certainly seem rough. But keep reading for a few tips on how you can stay on track, while still enjoying all the holidays have to offer.


Did you know that cholesterol is the leading cause of death in the United States? Unfortunately, it is completely true. So what can you do to avoid being one of the estimated 81 million people who suffers from high cholesterol? Well, first, cholesterol comes from two sources: your body and the food you eat. Your liver and other cells in your body make about 75% of blood cholesterol; the other 25% comes from the foods you eat. So, changing your cholesterol levels involve lifestyle changes.

And, thankfully, those changes can be made a little at a time.

Lifestyle Changes

Changing your cholesterol is about more than eating an apple every day, then going back to your normal, sedentary life. It takes more than that, but that’s not a bad place to start! Before you go cutting out everything you love to eat and forcing yourself to join the gym, take a breather and ask yourself why you do things the way you do. Understanding the forces at work can help you make lasting changes.

For example, do you head to the snack table because you really want a brownie, or are you looking for a few minutes away from your brother to think? Or, do you just want to socialize for a bit and meet new people? Understanding why you head to snack table can help you change your habits. If you’re just hungry, try eating something healthy at home before you head to a party. You’ll be more full and less likely to load up on sweet treats.

If you’re ready to learn more about how we can help you, call us today at (407) 767-8554 to schedule a consultation.

Posted in: Heart Health

Leave a response

Contact Our Office

Orlando Heart & Vascular Institute450 W. Central Parkway – Altamonte Springs, FL 32714

Phone: (407) 767-8554
Fax Number: 407-767-9121

Office hours: Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4: 30 pm
Friday 8:00 am-12:00 pm

Office hours: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 8am-4:30pm